SOS-TORTURE/BURUNDI REPORT No. 45 RELEASES ON 22TH OCTOBER 2016
SOS-TORTURE/BURUNDI REPORT No. 45 RELEASES ON 22TH OCTOBER 2016
This SOS-Torture report covers the period between 15th to 22 October 2016.
The report discusses the arbitrary arrests listed in different areas of the country. At least nine persons were arbitrarily arrested by police agents, sometimes by youth militia of the league 'Imbonerakure' belonging to the ruling party CNDD-FDD.
SOS-Torture Burundi also evokes the appearance before a prosecutor of ten persons arrested in the same house by police agents at Mutakura, after more than fifteen days in custody in the premises of the National Intelligence Service. .
At least eight persons were murdered during the past week. Among the victims were three persons whose bodies were discovered in the rivers and lake, a method used by the perpetrators to remove life without the bodies of their victims.
1. Arbitrary arrests, abductions and forced disappearances continue
- Youth militia league'Imbonerakure' arrested and tortured Patience Bukeyeneza in Cankuzo commune, Cankuzo province (east of the country) in the evening of 14th October 2016. The victim was subsequently detained in prison dying due to acts of torture suffered. It was only the next day that he was transferred to Cankuzo Health care.
SOS-Torture Burundi notes that the militia of the ruling party continues to enjoy total impunity and complicity of the administration. The police and the prosecution in Cankuzo did not conduct any action to arrest the suspected who are moving freely.
- Military and National Intelligence Service agents arrested a young man nicknamed 'Maso at Quarter 7of Ngagara Zone (north of Bujumbura) on October 15th, 2016. Witnesses reported that the young man was transported in a vehicle civilian plate number. Relatives of the victim have no news of the young man since his arrest.
SOS-Torture Burundi fears a forced disappearance. The SNR should quickly communicate the place of detention of the young man and the reasons for his arrest. During his forced departure, no warrant was presented to the young man.
- The police agents arrested two activists of the opposition party FNL in Gitega province (center country) on October 17th, 2016. This is Edward Nzambimana arrested in the Bugendana commune and Ladislas Sabukwigura arrested in Rutegama commune at his home.
Members of the FNL led by Agathon Rwasa, current Vice President of the National Assembly, are subjected to arbitrary arrests in several provinces. SOS-Torture Burundi has documented at least 69 cases of arbitrary arrest, torture and leak of FNL members in the space of six weeks between August and September 2016
(see SOS-Torture Burundi report No.43:
- Police arrested Olivier a young man in Mabanda commune, Makamba province (south of the country) on 20th October 2016. The arrest was conducted by the chief police of Mugamba commune located in Bururi Province origin of the young man and the commander of Mabanda military camp.
No warrant was presented to the young man who was embarqued by the chief police of Mugamba Commune.
- Ten persons arrested at Mutakura Quarter, Cibitoke Zone (north of Bujumbura) by agents of the National Intelligence Service were transferred to Mpimba prison in Bujumbura on October 18th, 2016 a few hours after their appearance before the investigating judges. These persons had been arrested and held in the custody of national intelligence service since October 2nd, 2016 (see SOS-Torture report Burundi No. 43: http://sostortureburundi.over-blog.com/2016/10/rapport-n- 43-de-la-campagne-sos-torture-Burundi-publishes-the-8-October-2016.html).
This is Nimubona Peter; Ruvugana Josée (F), Yamuremye Chantal (F), Ndayishimiye Thomas, NdikumanaSelemani, Nyandwi Jean Marie, Migero Polycarp; YombereDéo, NdayizigiyeDionèse Salvator Nahimana and a journalist of Radio Maria belonging to the Catholic Church.
It is the prosecution service of Ntahangwa (north of Bujumbura) which charged them for "holding an illegal meeting to supply rebels'. SOS-Torture Burundi found that the defendants had far exceeded the custody time limits provided for by the Burundian Code of Criminal Procedure
Some of the ten defendants before heading to Mpimba prison
- The police agents arrested Marcel Bigirimana in Rugombo Commune, Cibitoke province (north-west of the country) on 19th October 2016. This is anothermember of the opposition party FNL led by Agathon Rwasa. Witnesses indicate that the police were accompanied by the youth militia of the league 'Imbonerakure' belonging to the ruling party CNDD-FDD.
No warrant was presented to M.Bigirimana, victim of arbitrary arrest.
- The Police arrested three persons in Burambi Commune, Rumonge province (south of the country) on October 21th, 2016. They are two retired military personnel and one civilian arrested as part of an investigation following an army attack occurred the day before (see point 2 of this report) .These two persons are currently detained in the custody of Burambi Commune.
SOS-Torture Burundi is concerned about the arrests aiming particularly military personnel belonging to the former army without tangible and irrefutable evidence of guilt.
2. Murder, summary executions and armed attacks listed
- An armed attack took place in the province of Gitega (center of the country) during the evening of October 12th, 2016. The attack targeted a truck carrying fuel. The driver was killed in the attack whose perpetrators are still unknown.
- Another armed attack took place on Sakinyonga hill Matana Commune, Bururi province (south of the country) during the night of 13th to 14th October 2016. The attack left two injured who are retired militaries.
- The body of a young man violently murdered was found on the shores of Lake Cohoha wrapped in a bag and weighted by many stones on 15th October 2016. The bag had thrown on Kiyonza hill Bugabira Commune, Kirundo province (north of the country).
SOS-Torture Burundi notes that this is a summary execution whose authors are unknown. The local administration has immediately buried the body without any effort to identify the victim. This is not the first time bodies are found in rivers or lakes since the beginning of the crisis; victims usually being murdered and thrown into the water in an attempt to hide the body. SOS-Torture Burundi asked the administrative authorities to let proceed with the identification of victims and the police to investigate the circumstances of these horible murders.
- Unknown individuals have murdered Beatrice Barakamfitiye on Mubuga hill Rugazi Commune, Bubanza province (west of the country) early in the omrning on October 16th, 2016. The victim was killed with a machete and a child aged 2 years only was in her back, mortally wounded in the head by the same individuals currently unknown. Police arrested two suspects after the double murder: her husband Ryankaribona named Martin and his oldest son Régis Hakizimana.
Victims : Béatrice and her Kid
- The body of a man named Oscar Ntibaziyandemye was found on 2nd Avenue in Ruhagarika, Buganda commune, Cibitoke province (north-west of the country). The victim was murdered because the body had injuries.
- Another body was found in the Vyuya zone, Mugamba commune, Bururi province (south of the country) on 18th October 2016. Witnesses indicate that the body was in the Kibaya River valley and he is Nestor Negative, a former military disappeared since October 3rd, 2016.
The family of Mr. Negamiye formally identified the body of the victim despite his early decomposition. She also alerted since his disappearance on October 3rd, 2016 (two weeks before the discovery of his body). The police must quickly investigate to shed light on the forced disappearance followed by a summary execution, practices that are regularly observed in different areas of the country.
- The body of another person was also discovered on the banks of the Kanyaru River separating the northern border of Burundi and Rwanda on 19th October 2016. The body in advance decomposition was packed in a bag on the Kigaga hill Ntega commune, Kirundo province (north of the country).
- An armed attack took place on Gahinda hill Murago zone, Burambi Commune, Rumonge province (south of the country) on the evening of October 20th, 2016. The attack targeted a Bar in the village and one of the clients named Protais Nijimbere was killed.